General Information


If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee's written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us.


If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease, and obtain the necessary written consent before letting.


You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies.

As an appointed representative of Maras Group Insurance Services we are able to offer a range of competitively priced insurance products designed specially for Landlords, providing extra security and peace of mind which include Landlords Legal Protection, Rent Guarantee Cover and Landlords Contents and Buildings Insurance. Leaflets are enclosed for your information..

Bills and regular outgoings

We recommend that you arrange for regular outgoings e.g. service charges, maintenance contracts etc. to be paid by standing order or direct debit. However where we are managing the property, by prior written agreement we may make payment of certain bills on your behalf, provided such bills are received in your name at our office, and that sufficient funds are held to your credit.

Council tax and utility accounts

We will assist in the transfer of Council Tax and utility accounts to the Tenant. Meter readings will be taken, allowing your closing gas and electricity accounts to be drawn up. All these matters we will handle for you, however British Telecom, Sky and other suppliers of digital TV will require instructions directly from both the Landlord and the Tenant.

Income tax

When resident in the UK, it is entirely the Landlords responsibility to inform the Inland Revenue of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. Where the Landlord is resident outside the UK during a tenancy, under rules effective from 6 April 1996, unless an exemption certificate is held, we as Landlord's Agent are obliged to retain and forward to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis, an amount equal to the basic rate of income tax from rental received, less certain expenses. An application form for exemption from such deductions is available from this Agency, and further information may be obtained from the Inland Revenue.

Energy Performance Certificate

The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 SI 991

From the 1st October 2008 all Rental Properties coming onto the market in England and Wales must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Properties cannot be advertised for rent until the EPC has been conducted and certificate issued from an accredited Energy Assessor.

It is the Landlords responsibility (or Agents where we are managing the property) to ensure that a valid certificate is made available to all prospective tenants, before entering into a tenancy agreement.

An EPC will be valid for 10 years and provides information about the properties energy efficiency rating giving an estimation of the running costs and carbon emissions and recommendations for improving the energy efficiency of the property.

We can organise for the Energy Performance Certificate to be carried out on your behalf.

The Inventory

It is most important that an inventory of contents and schedule of condition be prepared, in order to avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of a tenancy. Without such safeguards, it will be impossible for the Landlord to prove any loss, damage, or significant deterioration of the property or contents. In order to provide a complete Service, we will prepare an inventory and schedule of condition for FREE with our Full Management Service. This service includes the use of digital photography, with images of the property and contents stored on our property management files. We also provide an inventory update service following the check out.

Let Only clients will also benefit from our complimentary video inventory, however we highly recommend that a written inventory is also carried out.